Rheinmetall, Rohde & Schwarz to form JV
Rheinmetall and Rohde & Schwarz have signed an agreement to form a joint venture (JV) company to bid for the German military’s mobile tactical communications (MoTaKo) and mobile tactical information network (MoTIV) procurement programmes.
The establishment of the JV is still pending anti-trust approval. Under the agreement, Rheinmetall will hold a 74.9% share in the new company, with the remaining 25.1% held by Rohde & Schwarz.
The JV will draw on the expertise and solutions of additional partners to put forward the proposals.
MoTaKo and MoTIV are the German Army’s principal modernisation projects for ground operations, with communication systems and thousands of vehicles earmarked for retrofitting. The scope of applications extends from tactical operation centres down to the individual infantryman on the ground.
Under the JV, Rheinmetall will be responsible for the command systems, the cross-functional operator interface and the complete vehicle integration process. Rohde & Schwarz will oversee the complete architecture, including IT and cybersecurity, as well as the IP-based system solution for robust, military voice and data transmission, including incorporation of components and solutions from other contractors.
More from Digital Battlespace
Military Space Cloud Architecture (MILSCA) will be able to store more than 100 Terabytes of data generated on Earth and in space on board each constellation satellite with a processing power exceeding 250 TFLOPS (250,000 billion operations per second).
The US Missile Defense Agency (MDA) initiated the Hypersonic and Ballistic Tracking Space Sensor (HBTSS) programme in 2018 and in January 2021 awarded Other Transaction Agreements to L3Harris Technologies and Northrop Grumman for the creation of prototype systems.
Project Beroe will underpin government control of future satellite constellations, further enhancing the UK’s multi-domain integration efforts.
WorldView Legion, a fleet of high-performance satellites, will expand Maxar’s ability to revisit the most rapidly changing areas on Earth to better inform critical, time-sensitive decisions.
India has ambitious plans to develop its ISR capabilities in space but has a fight on its hands if it wants to keep in touch with competing nations.