To make this website work, we log user data. By using Shephard's online services, you agree to our Privacy Policy, including cookie policy.

Open menu Search

IDEF 2021: F-35 is out but what is next for Turkey? (Defence Insight analysis)

13th August 2021 - 17:00 GMT | by Ilker Aktaşoğlu in London

Turkish military aircraft ambitions remain undimmed despite ongoing US sanctions.

The future combat readiness of the Turkish Air Force (TAF) is structured around two distinct combat aircraft platforms. A high-end stealth fighter jet is expected to constitute 25% of the future combat aircraft inventory, with the remaining 75% estimated to be filled with 4.5th-generation fixed-wing fighters.

For the latter, Turkish Aerospace is working on the TF-X programme, known as Milli Muharip Uçak (MMU), that was unveiled in 2010. TF-X is going to replace the ageing F-16 inventory in TAF service. Turkey will purchase more than 250 TF-X aircraft between 2029-2040. A first flight is scheduled in Q3 2026, according

Already have an account? Log in

Want to keep reading this article?

Read this Article

Get access to this article with a Free Basic Account

  • Original curated content, daily across air, land and naval domains
  • 1 free story per week
  • Personalised news alerts
  • Daily and weekly newsletters
Create account

Unlimited Access

Access to all our premium news as a Premium News 365 Member. Corporate subscriptions available.

  • Original curated content, daily across air, land and naval domains
  • 14-day free trial (cancel at any time)
  • Unlimited access to all published premium news
Start your free trial
Ilker Aktaşoğlu


Ilker Aktaşoğlu

İlker is Defence Insight Manager at Shephard Media. He has over ten years of experience in …

Read full bio

Share to