EO/IR Special Report: L3 Wescam launches new tech (sponsored)
L3 WESCAM has announced that it has created smarter, more technologically advanced EO/IR systems by incorporating high-performing imaging and processing technologies into its MX Series product line. These new technologies will enable MX operators to conduct missions with enhanced image processing and greater visual capabilities than ever before.
'Today’s environments are more complex, and missions need to be executed with more assurance,' said Paul Jennison, senior VP of strategy and business development at L3 Wescam. 'L3’s newly incorporated smart technologies provide a portfolio of capabilities that will help operators succeed though a combination of ease-of-use and robust performance.'
Newly launched imaging technologies include the addition of higher-sensitivity cameras that offer advanced imaging capabilities across a wider range of illumination conditions, thereby advancing operator capabilities in low-visibility and no-visibility environments.
Advancements to L3’s MX image processing technologies include Wescam’s embedded Advanced Video Engine (WAVE) and a newly embedded Graphics Processing Unit (GPU). The company's new Automated Video Tracker (AVT) and embedded Moving Target Indicator (MTI) technologies are supported by this new architecture and provide automatic target acquisition of multiple targets with significantly improved target lock performance in challenging mission scenarios.
Advanced Video Tracker
- Automatically identifies potential targets in a scene & allows the operator to select the desired target to be tracked.
- Maintains tracking through direction changes, occlusions, appearance & field-of-view changes.
- No requirement for the operator to select an algorithm - a general purpose algorithm provides high-performance tracking across a variety of target & scene conditions.
Embedded Moving Target Indicator
- Automatically detects and annotates all objects moving in a scene, highlighting the desired object against all other visuals in a scene.
- Incorporates advanced detection capabilities such as automatic color recognition to highlight items of interest, ie orange detection to look for items such as lifejackets or flairs.
L3’s significant investment in its image processing technologies has made the MX product line smarter, as the WAVE’s architecture supports future growth and allows for the rapid deployment of future image processing techniques.
For more information, visit www.wescam.com