UN draft calls for 'measures' over Iran missiles to Yemen
The UN Security Council is considering a draft resolution that would condemn Iran for violating the arms embargo on Yemen and call for measures to address this violation, according to the text obtained by AFP on Monday.
The proposed resolution drafted by Britain is in response to a report by a UN panel of experts which found that missiles fired by Yemen's Huthi rebels at Saudi Arabia last year were made in Iran.
The Security Council is expected to vote on the draft later this month, but it remains unclear whether Russia would back any move that punishes Iran.
The text 'condemns' Iran for violating the 2015 arms embargo on Yemen by 'failing to take the necessary measures to prevent the direct or indirect supply, sale or transfer' of short-range ballistic missiles, drones and other military equipment to the Huthis.
The draft resolution backed by the United States and France specifies that 'these violations ... require a further response from the council; and further decides to take additional measures to address these violations.'
While the text presented to the council on Friday does not provide details on those measures, it does specify that any activity related to the use of ballistic missiles in Yemen' is a criteria for sanctions.
The report by the UN experts bolstered US and Saudi claims that Iran was arming the Huthis, despite Tehran's strong denials.
While the report found that Tehran had violated the 2015 embargo by failing to block the shipments of equipment made in Iran, the experts said they were unable to identify the supplier.
Reining in Iran
Russia's Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia has raised questions about the experts' findings, which AFP first reported in January when the document was confidentially sent to the council.
Russia has the power to block sanctions by resorting to its veto as one of the five permanent Security Council members, along with Britain, China, France and the United States.
In a New York Times editorial published at the weekend, US Ambassador Nikki Haley made the case that UN action against Iran could help prevent a military confrontation between Iran and Saudi Arabia.
'By confirming that Iran is the source of the missiles and other weaponry fired into Saudi Arabia, the UN panel has given the world a chance to act before a missile hits a school or a hospital and leads to a dangerous military escalation that provokes a Saudi military response,' Haley wrote.
'Today, armed with this evidence, we have the chance to rein in Iran's behavior and demand that it live up to its international agreements that discourage conflict.'
Haley last month took Security Council ambassadors to a warehouse near Washington to inspect debris from missiles fired at Saudi Arabia last year that the United States says were supplied by Iran to the Huthis.
The missile components and other weaponry were collected by Saudi Arabia.
After the visit, Russia's ambassador remained unconvinced. Asked whether the case had been made for action against Iran, Nebenzia answered 'no'.
The resolution would also renew UN sanctions on Yemen for another year, until February 26, 2019.
More from Defence Notes
-
Why small guns have been critical to layered CUAS architectures
Multiple countries have been deploying small arms as the last line of drone defence due to their multiple operational and tactical advantages.
-
Singapore Airshow 2026: ST Engineering hints at export success for AME assault rifle family
The Singapore-based technology company unveiled its new rifle family at this week’s airshow. Chen Chuanren spoke with the ST Engineering’s head of small arms to find out more about how the weapons have been refined.
-
High tension in the High North – a wake-up call for NATO’s future Arctic defence efforts?
Any potential ‘Arctic Sentry’ mission would be months in the planning, but with tensions high in the region given the US’s push for Greenland, NATO countries will need to continue to emphasise their commitment to the region, analysts have said.
-
Venezuela prepares personnel and equipment for a potential second US attack
Defence Minister Gen Vladimir Padrino López has declared that the Venezuelan armed forces “will continue to employ all its available capabilities for military defence”.
-
As the new year starts, the UK defence spending delay continues
The UK’s defence spending commitments remain uncertain as the government’s Defence Investment Plan, which had been due by the end of 2025, is yet to be published.