Syrian government rejects watchdog report on deadly chlorine attack
The Syrian regime on 7 March 2019 rejected a report by the world’s chemical weapons watchdog confirming chlorine was used in an attack against the Syrian town of Douma in April 2018.
The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said on 1 March that there were ‘reasonable grounds’ to believe toxic chemicals containing ‘reactive chlorine’ had been used in the attack, which witnesses said killed 43 people. It said two cylinders likely containing the chemical had smashed into a housing block in Douma, which was held by rebels at the time.
The team had no mandate to assign responsibility for the attack, but Western powers led by the United States blamed the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, unleashing air strikes on regime military installations in response. A spokesman for Syria’s foreign ministry said Thursday the government rejected the OPCW’s findings in their entirety.
The official ‘called on member states of the OPCW to denounce such false reports, which lack credibility’, accusing the OPCW of being ‘biased and unobjective’, state news agency SANA said, in the first official response to the OPCW report.
The report was based on a visit to Douma by OPCW inspectors. The team took more than 100 samples from seven sites in the town, to which the regime had denied them access for several weeks. The OPCW said it reached its conclusions based on ‘witnesses’ testimonies, environmental and biomedical samples analysis results, toxicological and ballistic analyses from experts’.
Friday’s report also denied the Syrian government’s claims that the gas came from a rebel chemical weapons facility and storehouse in the area. ‘From the analysis of the information gathered during the on-site visits to the warehouse and facility suspected of producing chemical weapons, there was no indication of either facility being involved in their manufacture,’ it said.
The foreign ministry spokesman quoted by SANA said investigators were falsifying information. ‘This is evidenced by their denial that armed terrorist groups possess toxic chemicals even though they found such chemicals’ in warehouses owned by rebels, SANA quoted him as saying.
The OPCW has investigated multiple chemical attacks during the eight-year Syrian civil war, and has previously confirmed the use of ‘chlorine, sulphur mustard, and sarin as chemical weapons’ in other incidents. The organisation previously had no mandate to assign responsibility for attacks, but has since been given powers to investigate responsibility for all chemical attacks in Syria back to 2014.
Syria’s multi-fronted war has killed more than 360,000 people since it began in 2011 with President Bashar al-Assad’s regime suppressing protests.
More from Defence Notes
-
SOF Week 2026: US military tests AI algorithm to support missions in low-light scenarios
The US Army and USAF are evaluating an AI-enabled imaging capability from Deepnight designed to enhance low-light and no-light operations across multiple platforms and environments.
-
Industrial capacity under scrutiny as US approves further $8.6 billion Middle East arms sale
The fast-tracked emergency approvals come as the conflict in the Middle East stretches out into its third month, after Iranian attacks depleted US allies’ missile stockpiles and testing air defence systems.
-
Intelligence innovation: From data overload to decision advantage (Podcast)
As militaries face an overwhelming flow of data, the challenge is shifting from collection to delivering fast, actionable insights that drive decision-making. Advances in AI and data integration are helping armed forces move beyond siloed systems to generate real-time intelligence across domains and allies.
-
SAHA 2026 to Convene the Global Defence Ecosystem
SAHA 2026 brings global defence and aerospace leaders to Istanbul for partnerships, launches, panels and high-value meetings.
-
Teledyne FLIR adds GPS-denied 3D-mapping capabilities to its CBRN uncrewed platforms
In a partnership with Emesent, Teledyne FLIR will equip its autonomous air, ground and detection systems with the Hovermap LiDAR payload in a move that highlights a broader market shift towards modular architectures, shared payloads and interoperability across platforms.
-
US seeks 32% boost for missile defence budget with $23 billion earmarked for interceptors
The Pentagon’s proposed budget for the next fiscal year includes an impressive increase in the procurement of interceptors, with the number of the US Army’s PAC-3 MSE rounds expanding by 683%, the US Navy’s Standard Missile by 365% and the MDA’s SM-3 IIA by more than 1,000%.