North Korea’s Kim oversees test of new weapon with ‘powerful warhead’
North Korea’s Kim Jong Un has supervised the test-firing of a new tactical weapon with a ‘powerful warhead’, state media reported 18 April, in the first test of its kind since nuclear negotiations with Washington stalled.
The test marks a ratcheting up of tensions weeks after a summit between Kim and US President Donald Trump collapsed without agreement. It also comes after satellite imagery suggested heightened activity at a nuclear test site.
17 April’s test was ‘conducted in various modes of firing at different targets’ the Korean Central News Agency reported, adding that Kim ‘guided the test-fire’. The report said Kim described its development as one ‘of very weighty significance in increasing the combat power of the People’s Army’. The ‘advantages’ of the weapon were ‘the peculiar mode of guiding flight and the load of a powerful warhead’, KCNA said. Its report gave no details of the weapon.
South Korea had not detected anything on radar so it was unlikely to have been a missile, a military official told AFP. ‘When North Korea launches a missile, our radar catches it. But no missile was detected,’ said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Seoul’s presidential office said it had no comment.
‘The description makes whatever was tested sound like a missile, but that could be everything from a small anti-tank guided missile to a surface-to-air missile to a rocket artillery system,’ said North Korea analyst Ankit Panda.
Earlier in the week, the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a US monitor, said activity had been detected at Yongbyon, the North’s main nuclear testing facility. The think tank said evidence suggested Pyongyang may be reprocessing radioactive material into bomb fuel.
Kim’s Hanoi summit with Trump, the second between the two men, ended abruptly, with North Korea later protesting that the US was being unreasonable in its demands. Since then, North Korea has said it is mulling options for its diplomacy with the US, and Kim said last week he was open to talks with Trump only if Washington came with the ‘proper attitude’.
‘Kim is trying to make a statement to the Trump administration that his military potential is growing by the day,’ said Harry Kazianis, an analyst at the Washington-based Center for the National Interest. ‘His regime is becoming frustrated with Washington’s lack of flexibility in recent negotiations.’
Koh Yu-hwan, professor of North Korean studies at Dongguk University, agreed the test was a message to the US showing its displeasure over the stalled nuclear talks. But the fact that it was not a long-range missile or nuclear test ‘underscores Pyongyang wants to keep alive dialogue with Washington’, he added. ’Pyongyang cannot conduct a nuclear or long-range missile launch at this point unless it wants to totally shatter what remains of the US-North talks,’ he continued.
Pentagon officials said they were aware of the test report but declined to comment further.
Moon overture
Last November, KCNA reported that Kim oversaw the testing of a ‘newly developed ultramodern tactical weapon’ months after his first meeting with Trump. It was the first official report of a weapons test by North Korea since Kim and Trump’s historic summit in Singapore over Pyongyang’s nuclear and missile programme.
The North’s latest weapon test report comes after South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Monday he wanted a fresh meeting with Kim ‘regardless of venue and form’.
Pyongyang has yet to respond to Moon’s overture.
Moon, who has long backed engagement with the nuclear-armed North, has been pushing for the resumption of inter-Korean economic projects, but doing so would fall foul of international sanctions imposed on Pyongyang.
More from Defence Notes
-
SOF Week 2026: US military tests AI algorithm to support missions in low-light scenarios
The US Army and USAF are evaluating an AI-enabled imaging capability from Deepnight designed to enhance low-light and no-light operations across multiple platforms and environments.
-
Industrial capacity under scrutiny as US approves further $8.6 billion Middle East arms sale
The fast-tracked emergency approvals come as the conflict in the Middle East stretches out into its third month, after Iranian attacks depleted US allies’ missile stockpiles and testing air defence systems.
-
Intelligence innovation: From data overload to decision advantage (Podcast)
As militaries face an overwhelming flow of data, the challenge is shifting from collection to delivering fast, actionable insights that drive decision-making. Advances in AI and data integration are helping armed forces move beyond siloed systems to generate real-time intelligence across domains and allies.
-
SAHA 2026 to Convene the Global Defence Ecosystem
SAHA 2026 brings global defence and aerospace leaders to Istanbul for partnerships, launches, panels and high-value meetings.
-
Teledyne FLIR adds GPS-denied 3D-mapping capabilities to its CBRN uncrewed platforms
In a partnership with Emesent, Teledyne FLIR will equip its autonomous air, ground and detection systems with the Hovermap LiDAR payload in a move that highlights a broader market shift towards modular architectures, shared payloads and interoperability across platforms.
-
US seeks 32% boost for missile defence budget with $23 billion earmarked for interceptors
The Pentagon’s proposed budget for the next fiscal year includes an impressive increase in the procurement of interceptors, with the number of the US Army’s PAC-3 MSE rounds expanding by 683%, the US Navy’s Standard Missile by 365% and the MDA’s SM-3 IIA by more than 1,000%.