Military Space Cloud Architecture (MILSCA) will be able to store more than 100 Terabytes of data generated on Earth and in space on board each constellation satellite with a processing power exceeding 250 TFLOPS (250,000 billion operations per second).
Rheinmetall, Rohde and Schwarz enter partnership
Rheinmetall and Rohde & Schwarz have agreed to establish a joint venture to compete for two major procurement projects of the German ground forces, Rheinmetall announced on 24 March.
The team will launch joint bids for Germany's mobile tactical communications (MoTaKo) and mobile tactical information network (MoTIV) programmes.
Under the contractual agreement, Rheinmetall will have a 74.9% stake in the joint venture, with Rohde & Schwarz holding the remaining 25.1%. Additional partners will be engaged during individual project phases.
Developed in tandem, MoTaKo and MoTIV will form Germany's future 'Heer/Streitkräftebasis' digital command and control system. Under the joint venture bids, Rheinmetall will be responsible for the command systems, the cross-functional operator interface and the complete vehicle integration process; while Rohde & Schwarz will contribute its IP-based system solutions for secure communications.
Armin Papperger, chief executive of Rheinmetall AG, said: 'By joining forces, Rheinmetall and Rohde & Schwarz have formed the ideal team for creating and implementing a digital communication and information management system for the Bundeswehr.
'The planned joint venture will have at its finger tips the full range of expertise needed to reliably implement the MoTaKo and MoTIV projects, with everything derived from a single source. In order to do this, we intend to include other prominent defence contractors in the process.'
More from Digital Battlespace
The US Missile Defense Agency (MDA) initiated the Hypersonic and Ballistic Tracking Space Sensor (HBTSS) programme in 2018 and in January 2021 awarded Other Transaction Agreements to L3Harris Technologies and Northrop Grumman for the creation of prototype systems.
Project Beroe will underpin government control of future satellite constellations, further enhancing the UK’s multi-domain integration efforts.
WorldView Legion, a fleet of high-performance satellites, will expand Maxar’s ability to revisit the most rapidly changing areas on Earth to better inform critical, time-sensitive decisions.
India has ambitious plans to develop its ISR capabilities in space but has a fight on its hands if it wants to keep in touch with competing nations.
The Tracking Layer (TL) will deliver a global constellation of infrared missile warning and missile tracking satellites. The constellation will consist of approximately 270 operational Transport and Tracking Layer satellites.