US suspends military drills with South Korea
The decision to delay joint military exercises with South Korea until after the Winter Olympics was made for practical reasons, rather than as a political gesture, the US DoD announced on 4 January.
The DoD said the Olympics are South Korea’s biggest event in terms of international tourism.
Jim Mattis, US defence secretary, said: ‘For us, it is a practical matter. We have at times changed the timelines on these (drills) for any number of reasons, so for us, this is the normal give and take that we have.’
After a year that has seen tensions on the Korean peninsula spike to their worst levels in years, 2018 has begun on a tentatively warmer note with Seoul responding positively to North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un’s New Year speech.
On Wednesday, the two countries restored a cross-border hotline that had been shut down since 2016. They have also agreed to hold high-level talks next week - the first since 2015 which will focus on ‘matters of mutual interest,’ including the North’s participation in the Winter Olympics.
Mattis said the talks were the result of international pressure, pointing to successive UN Security Council votes against the North.
‘It shows again that the democracies and the nations that are trying to keep this from going to war and stopping the provocations of nuclear weapon development, of ballistic missile launches and that sort of thing are united in trying to keep this thing in a diplomatic-solution vein,’ he said.
The Pentagon chief declined to address a recent tweet from US president Donald Trump, who said Washington had a nuclear button that was ‘much bigger and more powerful’ than North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un’s.
‘My job as the secretary of defence is to make certain that we have forces ready to defend this country,’ Mattis commented.
The drills are expected to be conducted sometime after the Paralympics, which end on 18 March.
More from Defence Notes
-
US Pentagon pushes for major reform of defence acquisition system
The US Department of Defense has requested new contracting authorities from Congress, using the Army's MV-75 Cheyenne programme to demonstrate how competition, digital engineering and closer industry collaboration could accelerate acquisitions.
-
US speeds up B61-13 nuclear bomb production as programme moves further ahead of schedule
The US government plans to accelerate production even further after achieving key B61-13 milestones months ahead of schedule, as the programme advances amid growing US-China strategic competition.
-
Canada’s C$2 billion ACSV deal reinforces new defence industrial strategy as allies align
General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada is the country’s first strategic partner under the Defence Industrial Strategy’s Strategic Partnership Framework, an effort to provide companies with confidence to invest and boost the defence labour force.
-
New UK armed forces minister frames High North defence as vital to “homeland security”
The UK’s Minister for the Armed Forces Louise Sandher-Jones made her first appearance in the role before the House of Commons Defence Committee this week to highlight efforts to improve capability in the High North.
-
Canada seeks to strengthen industrial ties with the US on classified programmes
Ottawa explores expanding defence-industrial cooperation with Washington into sensitive programmes, an approach that could reshape NORAD modernisation, strengthen North American supply chains and create new opportunities for defence contractors.