Pentagon denies Mattis wanted congress backed Syria strike
The Pentagon has denied a report that President Donald Trump rebuffed Defense Secretary Jim Mattis after the Washington chief urged him to seek congressional approval for last week’s air strikes in Syria.
Citing anonymous military and administration officials, the New York Times said Mattis had pushed Trump to get a green light from Congress ahead of launching 13 April’s cruise missile barrage against three targets the Pentagon said were tied to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s chemical weapons programme.
According to the Times, Mattis met with Trump in a series of meetings and pushed him to get congressional authorisation, stressing the need to link military operations to public support.
But in a short statement, Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White’s office said the article’s claim about Mattis pushing Trump for congressional approval is ‘blatantly false.’
A Pentagon official told AFP that there was no debate, and that ‘everyone’ agreed Trump had the authority needed to launch the strikes.
Chemical weapons inspectors are waiting to go into Douma, near Damascus, to probe allegations of a chemical gas attack on April 7.
The following day, Trump tweeted there would be a ‘big price to pay’ after a ‘mindless CHEMICAL attack’ and later promised missiles would be coming.
His remarks virtually ensured a speedy response to the alleged chemical attack, even though many US lawmakers have expressed reservations over further military engagement in Syria unless Trump can articulate a long-term strategy for the country.
More from Defence Notes
-
From systems integrator to multi-domain solutions provider (video)
Philipp von Brandenstein, Head of Corporate Communications at Rheinmetall, explains how Eurosatory 2026 marked a new stage in the company's evolution.
-
US Pentagon pushes for major reform of defence acquisition system
The US Department of Defense has requested new contracting authorities from Congress, using the Army's MV-75 Cheyenne programme to demonstrate how competition, digital engineering and closer industry collaboration could accelerate acquisitions.
-
US speeds up B61-13 nuclear bomb production as programme moves further ahead of schedule
The US government plans to accelerate production even further after achieving key B61-13 milestones months ahead of schedule, as the programme advances amid growing US-China strategic competition.
-
Canada’s C$2 billion ACSV deal reinforces new defence industrial strategy as allies align
General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada is the country’s first strategic partner under the Defence Industrial Strategy’s Strategic Partnership Framework, an effort to provide companies with confidence to invest and boost the defence labour force.
-
New UK armed forces minister frames High North defence as vital to “homeland security”
The UK’s Minister for the Armed Forces Louise Sandher-Jones made her first appearance in the role before the House of Commons Defence Committee this week to highlight efforts to improve capability in the High North.
-
Canada seeks to strengthen industrial ties with the US on classified programmes
Ottawa explores expanding defence-industrial cooperation with Washington into sensitive programmes, an approach that could reshape NORAD modernisation, strengthen North American supply chains and create new opportunities for defence contractors.