Netanyahu says Iran crossed 'red line' with rocket fire
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Iran had crossed a ‘red line’ by firing rockets at Israeli forces from Syria, leading to major Israeli air strikes on 10 May in the neighbouring country.
Netanyahu said in a video posted on social media: ‘Iran has crossed a red line. Our reaction was a consequence. The Israeli Army carried out an extensive attack against Iranian targets in Syria.’
Iran has not claimed responsibility for the rocket fire.
Israel carried out widespread deadly raids against what it said were Iranian targets in Syria after rocket fire towards its forces which it blamed on Iran, marking a sharp escalation between the two enemies.
Israel said 20 rockets, either Fajr or Grad type, were fired from Syria at its forces in the occupied Golan Heights at around midnight.
It blamed the rocket fire on Iran's Quds force, adding that Israel's anti-missile system intercepted four while the rest did not land in its territory.
No Israelis were wounded.
Netanyahu said: ‘We are in a prolonged campaign and our policy is clear: We will not allow Iran to establish itself militarily in Syria.’
Foreign troop numbers in Iraq fell by a quarter during 2018, Prime Minister Adel Abdel Mahdi said, as the fallout fizzled from Washington's announcement it ...
US and Russian diplomats met on 15 January to discuss the fate of a majornuclear missile control treaty that Washington has threatened to ditch over ...
The White House demanded that the military draft plans for strikes on Iran after attacks in Iraq last year, sparking concern at the Pentagon and ...
The share price in Brazilian airplane manufacturer Embraer soared Friday as markets reacted favourably to the country's President Jair Bolsonaro approving a merger with US ...
Japan's foreign minister Taro Kono will visit Moscow next week for talks with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov on a decades-long row over four disputed ...
The US military has removed some equipment from Syria, a defense official confirmed on 10 January, following a report that the drawdown ordered by President ...