Britain launches security probe into Cobham takeover
The UK launched a national security probe into a £4 billion ($5 billion) takeover bid for British defence group Cobham by a US private equity firm on 18 September.
Advent International in July offered the bid for Cobham, aided by the beneficial impact of the Brexit-hit weak pound.
Shareholders at the British company approved the deal on Monday despite vocal opposition from the founding Cobham family.
Dorset-based Cobham is known for its stake in technology enabling the mid-air refuelling of planes. The firm also makes electronic warfare systems and communications for military vehicles.
‘Following careful consideration of the proposed takeover of Cobham, I have issued an intervention notice on the grounds of national security,’ Business Secretary Andrea Leadsom said in a statement on the day.
She added that the Competition and Markets Authority watchdog would investigate the ‘national security implications of the transaction’ and provide its findings next month.
‘The government's goals are to support private sector innovation whilst safeguarding the public interest,’ Leadsom said.
In late morning deals, Cobham shares slid 0.5 percent to 159.65 pence on London's second-tier FTSE 250 index, which was up 0.2 percent at 20,081.95 points.
‘A muted share price reaction... suggests, rightly or wrongly, that the market expects the deal to go through,’ said Russ Mould, investment director at broker AJ Bell.
‘While there may have been an element of opportunism to Advent's approach, it is certainly not the first overseas firm to take advantage of sterling weakness to acquire UK assets at a discount,’ he said.
More from Defence Notes
The US’s ability to prepare for future conflicts had been placed at risk with many Pentagon laboratories and testing centres being housed in poorly maintained and aging structures.
On the second anniversary of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the uncertainty regarding the future of the conflict has split opinions in Washington, placing military assistance to Kyiv and sanctions on Moscow in a nebulous zone.
Sweden has announced another package of support for Ukraine, following hot on the heels of Canada’s additional support announced this week and last week’s support from the UK and the EU.
NATO Defence Ministers met on 15 February to discuss how to further strengthen the alliance’s deterrence and defence followed by a meeting of the NATO-Ukraine Council.
With the possibility of having to confront challenges without substantial US support looming, European nations have been compelled to reassess their defence strategies and prioritise investments to ensure collective security and resilience.
As part of the national security supplemental package, the fund will now be analysed by the House of Representatives.