Beijing slams US warship sail-by in South China Sea
China said two US warships sailed near disputed islands in the South China Sea without permission on 6 May in the latest US challenge to Beijing’s territorial claims in the region.
The Chinese navy asked the US vessels to leave after they entered waters adjacent to Gaven and Chigua reefs in the Spratly Islands, which Beijing calls Nansha, the foreign ministry said.
The move comes on top of trade tensions as President Donald Trump said 5 May that he would raise tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese goods on Friday because talks were moving ‘too slowly’.
‘The relevant actions of the US warships violated China’s sovereignty and undermined peace, security and good order in the relevant sea areas,’ ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said at a press briefing.
‘The Chinese side expresses strong dissatisfaction and resolute opposition’ to the operation, Geng added, noting that the ships had entered ‘without permission’.
The US Navy regularly conducts ‘freedom of navigation operations’ to challenge Beijing’s vast claims in the sea.
The People’s Liberation Army identified the two US ships as the USS Preble and the USS Chung-Hoon, both guided-missile destroyers.
Air and sea forces were deployed to identify and ask the ships to leave, a spokesman for the PLA’s Southern Theatre Command said on China’s Twitter-like Weibo platform.
‘The (Southern) Theatre troops will maintain a high degree of alert and take all necessary measures to resolutely defend the sovereignty of the country and resolutely safeguard peace and stability in the South China Sea,’ said the spokesman, Li Huamin.
Beijing has built artificial islands and military installations in the sea, including on the Spratlys.
China claims nearly all of the sea, though Taiwan, the Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia and Vietnam all claim parts of it.
‘China has indisputable sovereignty over the South China Sea islands and its adjacent waters. No matter how provocative foreign warships are, this fact cannot be changed,’ Li said.
Geng said the situation in the sea was ‘constantly stabilising’ due to the ‘joint efforts’ of Beijing and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations. ‘Under such circumstances, China urges the US to stop such provocative acts, to respect China’s sovereignty and security interests, and respect the efforts of regional countries to maintain peace and stability in the South China Sea,’ he said.
‘At the same time, China will continue to take all necessary measures to safeguard national sovereignty and safeguard peace and stability in the South China Sea.’
More from Naval Warfare
-
Shoreline vulnerability drives Gulf interest in USV networks
Ukraine’s combat-proven Magura uncrewed surface vessel is attracting Gulf state interest as the Iran war exposes gaps in layered maritime air defence, raising questions about whether low-cost attritable systems can gain a foothold in a procurement culture historically drawn to high-end Western platforms.
-
Partnerships will be critical for future projects at Latin American shipyards
Multiple Latin American navies are modernising their fleets by prioritising domestically manufactured surface vessels and even submarines via international partnerships.
-
Sweden swayed by speed to capability in French frigate win
Naval Group has secured a contract to supply four Frégate de Défense et d’Intervention frigates to the Royal Swedish Navy, extending the French naval industry’s reach into Northern Europe and showing why speed to capability has become the defining criterion in today’s defence procurement contests.
-
SOF Week 2026: US NSW explores 3D-printed USVs for forward-deployed operations
US Naval Special Warfare Command is assessing the feasibility of rapidly producing expendable mid-sized USVs in theatre to support SOF and maritime security missions.
-
Germany’s F126 delays open the door for Rheinmetall’s naval ambitions
Germany’s F126 frigate crisis has handed Rheinmetall an opening it had been working towards for years, and the company intends to make the most of it.
-
SOF Week 2026: MARSOC selects upgraded Shark Marine dive navigation system
MARSOC is procuring the Shark Marine Dive Tablet 2 to address a longstanding combat diver navigation capability gap, improving underwater positioning, situational awareness and integration with existing diver propulsion vehicles.