North Korea's Kim oversees test of new weapon with 'powerful warhead'
North Korea's Kim Jong Un has supervised the test-firing of a new tactical weapon with a ‘powerful warhead’, state media reported 18 April, in the first test of its kind since nuclear negotiations with Washington stalled.
The test marks a ratcheting up of tensions weeks after a summit between Kim and US President Donald Trump collapsed without agreement. It also comes after satellite imagery suggested heightened activity at a nuclear test site.
17 April’s test was ‘conducted in various modes of firing at different targets’ the Korean Central News Agency reported, adding that Kim ‘guided the test-fire’. The report said Kim described its development as one ‘of very weighty significance in increasing the combat power of the People's Army’. The ‘advantages’ of the weapon were ‘the peculiar mode of guiding flight and the load of a powerful warhead’, KCNA said. Its report gave no details of the weapon.
South Korea had not detected anything on radar so it was unlikely to have been a missile, a military official told AFP. ‘When North Korea launches a missile, our radar catches it. But no missile was detected,’ said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Seoul's presidential office said it had no comment.
‘The description makes whatever was tested sound like a missile, but that could be everything from a small anti-tank guided missile to a surface-to-air missile to a rocket artillery system,’ said North Korea analyst Ankit Panda.
Earlier in the week, the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a US monitor, said activity had been detected at Yongbyon, the North's main nuclear testing facility. The think tank said evidence suggested Pyongyang may be reprocessing radioactive material into bomb fuel.
Kim's Hanoi summit with Trump, the second between the two men, ended abruptly, with North Korea later protesting that the US was being unreasonable in its demands. Since then, North Korea has said it is mulling options for its diplomacy with the US, and Kim said last week he was open to talks with Trump only if Washington came with the ‘proper attitude’.
‘Kim is trying to make a statement to the Trump administration that his military potential is growing by the day,’ said Harry Kazianis, an analyst at the Washington-based Center for the National Interest. ‘His regime is becoming frustrated with Washington's lack of flexibility in recent negotiations.’
Koh Yu-hwan, professor of North Korean studies at Dongguk University, agreed the test was a message to the US showing its displeasure over the stalled nuclear talks. But the fact that it was not a long-range missile or nuclear test ‘underscores Pyongyang wants to keep alive dialogue with Washington’, he added. ’Pyongyang cannot conduct a nuclear or long-range missile launch at this point unless it wants to totally shatter what remains of the US-North talks,’ he continued.
Pentagon officials said they were aware of the test report but declined to comment further.
Moon overture
Last November, KCNA reported that Kim oversaw the testing of a ‘newly developed ultramodern tactical weapon’ months after his first meeting with Trump. It was the first official report of a weapons test by North Korea since Kim and Trump's historic summit in Singapore over Pyongyang's nuclear and missile programme.
The North's latest weapon test report comes after South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Monday he wanted a fresh meeting with Kim ‘regardless of venue and form’.
Pyongyang has yet to respond to Moon's overture.
Moon, who has long backed engagement with the nuclear-armed North, has been pushing for the resumption of inter-Korean economic projects, but doing so would fall foul of international sanctions imposed on Pyongyang.
More from Defence Notes
-
Why small guns have been critical to layered CUAS architectures
Multiple countries have been deploying small arms as the last line of drone defence due to their multiple operational and tactical advantages.
-
Singapore Airshow 2026: ST Engineering hints at export success for AME assault rifle family
The Singapore-based technology company unveiled its new rifle family at this week’s airshow. Chen Chuanren spoke with the ST Engineering’s head of small arms to find out more about how the weapons have been refined.
-
High tension in the High North – a wake-up call for NATO’s future Arctic defence efforts?
Any potential ‘Arctic Sentry’ mission would be months in the planning, but with tensions high in the region given the US’s push for Greenland, NATO countries will need to continue to emphasise their commitment to the region, analysts have said.
-
Venezuela prepares personnel and equipment for a potential second US attack
Defence Minister Gen Vladimir Padrino López has declared that the Venezuelan armed forces “will continue to employ all its available capabilities for military defence”.
-
As the new year starts, the UK defence spending delay continues
The UK’s defence spending commitments remain uncertain as the government’s Defence Investment Plan, which had been due by the end of 2025, is yet to be published.