N. Korea tested rocket launchers and ‘tactical guided weapons’
North Korea’s state media said 5 May that leader Kim Jong Un had overseen a rocket and tactical guided weapons test, after the drill on 4 May raised concerns Pyongyang was escalating provocations with US nuclear negotiations deadlocked.
The North last carried out a missile test in November 2017, before a rapid diplomatic rapprochement saw tensions ease on the peninsula and a series of summits.
A return to missile launches would be likely to infuriate US President Donald Trump, but the North’s official KCNA news agency shied away from the term in its report, saying Kim had ordered a ‘strike drill’ involving ‘long-range multiple rocket launchers’ - which are not targeted by UN sanctions resolutions - and unspecified ‘tactical guided weapons’.
Seoul’s defence ministry said Sunday an analysis of the launch indicated Pyongyang had tested ‘240-mm and 300-mm multiple rocket launchers and a new type of tactical guided weapons with a range of around 70 to 240 kilometres’ (45 to 150 miles).
The US and North Korea have been at loggerheads since the collapse of a Trump-Kim summit in February, when the two sides clashed over sanctions and the extent of Pyongyang’s concessions on its atomic arsenal.
But despite the latest sabre-rattling from Pyongyang, Trump insisted that a breakthrough was possible.
‘Kim Jong Un fully realizes the great economic potential of North Korea, & will do nothing to interfere or end it,’ Trump tweeted.
‘He also knows that I am with him & does not want to break his promise to me. Deal will happen!’ The US leader did not elaborate on Kim’s promise.
During Saturday’s drill Kim urged his troops to remember ‘the iron truth that genuine peace and security are ensured and guaranteed only by powerful strength’, KCNA said.
The state-run Rodong Sinmun newspaper on Sunday carried 16 photos of the weapons test on its front page, including a picture of a grim-looking Kim clutching his binoculars in an observation post as well as several images of projectiles shooting skywards.
Broken promises?
Trump proclaimed that the North Korean nuclear threat was over after the two sides’ historic first summit in Singapore in June, when Kim pledged to work towards “complete denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula’.
The two have since disagreed over what that means, but Trump has insisted the leaders remain close even after their follow-up meeting in Vietnam broke up without a deal or even a joint statement, and that Kim would maintain his moratorium on long-range missile and nuclear tests.
But with negotiations lagging, the North appears to be testing the US while staying below that threshold.
The Saturday drill followed last month’s test-firing of very short-range tactical weapons, and came days after a senior North Korean diplomat chastised US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for making ‘foolish and dangerous’ comments during nuclear talks.
Analysts said Pyongyang appears intent on raising pressure on Washington.
‘Kim wants to ensure the world knows it is upset with the US hardline stance on denuclearisation and will not bow to external pressure,’ said Scott Seaman of the Eurasia Group.
‘Unwanted outcome’
But Ankit Panda of the Federation of American Scientists stressed that the projectile launch ‘does not violate Kim Jong Un’s self-imposed missile-testing moratorium’, which ‘only applied to intercontinental-range ballistic missiles’.
Even so, a statement from Seoul’s presidential Blue House said it was ‘greatly concerned’, calling it a violation of a military agreement signed by both Koreas last year.
On Friday, South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha said Pyongyang should show ‘visible, concrete and substantial’ denuclearisation action if it wants sanctions relief - the issue at the centre of the Hanoi debacle.
Earlier this week, North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui warned Washington of an ‘unwanted outcome’ if it did not adjust its stance on economic sanctions.
Biegun visit
Since the collapse of the Hanoi summit, South Korean president Moon Jae-in - who brokered the first meeting between the mercurial US and North Korean leaders - has tried to salvage diplomacy, but Pyongyang has remained largely unresponsive.
Last week, on the anniversary of the first Panmunjom summit between Moon and Kim, KCNA said Washington and Seoul ‘keep pushing the situation of the Korean peninsula and the region to an undesirable phase’, criticising their joint military exercises.
The North Korean drill comes just days before US special representative Stephen Biegun is to visit Japan and South Korea for talks on Pyongyang’s nuclear arsenal.
More from Defence Notes
-
SOF Week 2026: US military tests AI algorithm to support missions in low-light scenarios
The US Army and USAF are evaluating an AI-enabled imaging capability from Deepnight designed to enhance low-light and no-light operations across multiple platforms and environments.
-
Industrial capacity under scrutiny as US approves further $8.6 billion Middle East arms sale
The fast-tracked emergency approvals come as the conflict in the Middle East stretches out into its third month, after Iranian attacks depleted US allies’ missile stockpiles and testing air defence systems.
-
Intelligence innovation: From data overload to decision advantage (Podcast)
As militaries face an overwhelming flow of data, the challenge is shifting from collection to delivering fast, actionable insights that drive decision-making. Advances in AI and data integration are helping armed forces move beyond siloed systems to generate real-time intelligence across domains and allies.
-
SAHA 2026 to Convene the Global Defence Ecosystem
SAHA 2026 brings global defence and aerospace leaders to Istanbul for partnerships, launches, panels and high-value meetings.
-
Teledyne FLIR adds GPS-denied 3D-mapping capabilities to its CBRN uncrewed platforms
In a partnership with Emesent, Teledyne FLIR will equip its autonomous air, ground and detection systems with the Hovermap LiDAR payload in a move that highlights a broader market shift towards modular architectures, shared payloads and interoperability across platforms.
-
US seeks 32% boost for missile defence budget with $23 billion earmarked for interceptors
The Pentagon’s proposed budget for the next fiscal year includes an impressive increase in the procurement of interceptors, with the number of the US Army’s PAC-3 MSE rounds expanding by 683%, the US Navy’s Standard Missile by 365% and the MDA’s SM-3 IIA by more than 1,000%.