Britain signs Saudi Eurofighter order
Britain has signed a multi-billion-pound preliminary order from Saudi Arabia for 48 Eurofighter Typhoon fighter jets, military equipment maker BAE Systems said on Friday.
The lucrative deal was unveiled on the third and final day of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s visit to Britain.
BAE Systems added in a statement that the order would help Riyadh modernise its armed forces under the kingdom’s ‘Vision 2030’ economic plan, while no financial details were given.
Eurofighter was developed by a European consortium that also comprises Italy’s Finmeccanica and Franco-German civilian planemaker Airbus.
“The UK Government has signed a Memorandum of Intent with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to aim to finalise discussions for the purchase of 48 Typhoon Aircraft,” BAE Systems said in a brief statement to the London Stock Exchange.
‘This is a positive step towards agreeing a contract for our valued partner. We are committed to supporting the Kingdom as it modernises the Saudi Armed Forces and develops key industrial capabilities critical to the delivery of Vision 2030.’
The news comes after Qatar inked a deal late last year to buy 24 Typhoon jets for some $8.0 billion.
Friday’s blockbuster announcement follows long-running discussions with Saudi Arabia, which already has a total of 72 Eurofighter Typhoon planes in its fleet.
The news also comes just two weeks after BAE posted sliding annual net profits -- but forecast improving defence budgets across its major markets.
Late last year, however, BAE said it planned to axe 2,000 jobs, and had partky blamed weaker demand for Hawk and Eurofighter Typhoon fighter jets.
In reaction, BAE’s share price jumped 2.24 percent to 602.20 pence in late afternoon deals on London’s benchmark FTSE 100 index, which traded 0.2 percent higher.
The deal confirmation followed intense speculation over the large aircraft order, which has been under discussion for many years according to media reports.
More from Defence Notes
-
US Pentagon pushes for major reform of defence acquisition system
The US Department of Defense has requested new contracting authorities from Congress, using the Army's MV-75 Cheyenne programme to demonstrate how competition, digital engineering and closer industry collaboration could accelerate acquisitions.
-
US speeds up B61-13 nuclear bomb production as programme moves further ahead of schedule
The US government plans to accelerate production even further after achieving key B61-13 milestones months ahead of schedule, as the programme advances amid growing US-China strategic competition.
-
Canada’s C$2 billion ACSV deal reinforces new defence industrial strategy as allies align
General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada is the country’s first strategic partner under the Defence Industrial Strategy’s Strategic Partnership Framework, an effort to provide companies with confidence to invest and boost the defence labour force.
-
New UK armed forces minister frames High North defence as vital to “homeland security”
The UK’s Minister for the Armed Forces Louise Sandher-Jones made her first appearance in the role before the House of Commons Defence Committee this week to highlight efforts to improve capability in the High North.
-
Canada seeks to strengthen industrial ties with the US on classified programmes
Ottawa explores expanding defence-industrial cooperation with Washington into sensitive programmes, an approach that could reshape NORAD modernisation, strengthen North American supply chains and create new opportunities for defence contractors.