Sri Lanka says no Chinese military base at port
Sri Lanka rejected on Wednesday US claims that China might establish a forward military base at a strategic port leased to Beijing by the indebted Indian Ocean island nation.
Sri Lanka last year granted a 99-year lease on the Hambantota deep-sea port to Beijing, after it was unable to repay Chinese loans for the $1.4-billion project.
The port, situated along key shipping routes, is one of a string of infrastructure projects in Asia, Africa and Europe being funded under China's Belt and Road Initiative that has rattled the US and its allies, including neighbouring India.
Last week US Vice-President Mike Pence said Hambantota ‘may soon become a forward military base for China's growing blue-water navy,’ according to US media.
But Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe's office said that there would be no foreign military presence at Hambantota, and that the US State Department had been briefed.
‘Our navy's Southern Command is being relocated in Hambantota to control port security,’ Wickremesinghe's office quoted him as saying in Britain on Monday.
Wickremesinghe said Sri Lanka was also concluding a commercial agreement that would see India take over the management of Hambantota airport -- another white-elephant project built with Chinese loans under former president Mahinda Rajapakse.
Regional superpower India has been concerned about growing Chinese interest in Sri Lanka, which has traditionally fallen within New Delhi's sphere of influence.
In August, the US announced it would grant Sri Lanka $39 million to boost maritime security.
At the same time, China has pledged to increase its funding of Sri Lanka's economy, including through loans, despite the country's major debt pile.
The International Monetary Fund, which bailed out Sri Lanka in June 2016 with a $1.5 billion staggered loan, has warned Colombo over its heavy liabilities.
The Romanian Ministry of Defence (MoD) has received offers from three European companies for four new multi-role corvettes and the upgrade of two Type 22 ...
The Royal Navy is expected to carry out more trials of a 30 x 173mm round that can ‘swim’ underwater and is capable of neutralising sub-surface ...
The Russian Navy has received two new Raptor patrol boats from Pella Shipyard of St Petersburg, the Russian Ministry of Defence announced on 11 October. ...
Naval Group's CEO teased an announcement on cooperation with Fincantieri as he expressed confidence in the company’s export strategy despite growing competition for key shipbuilding programmes. ...
The US Coast Guard has issued two delivery orders, worth a combined total of approximately $2.74 million, to SAFE Boats International for the supply of ...
Royal Navy Type 23 frigate, HMS Kent, has returned to service following an 18 month refurbishment programme. Carried out by Babcock, the overhaul will sustain ...