Spain announces €7.3 billion defence spending plan
Spain's government has given the green light for a €7.3 billion renewal of military equipment which it portrayed as ‘social spending’ that will create thousands of jobs.
‘The defence ministry will launch three military programmes with an investment of €7.33 billion ($8.2 billion),’ the ministry said in a statement on 14 December 2018 detailing a plan that runs until 2032.
Already on Thursday, the government announced its state-owned group Navantia would build five frigates for the navy for €4.3 billion.
On Friday, the defence ministry added a further €2.1 billion would go to developing and building 348 VCR 8x8 armoured vehicles.
These will replace ageing vehicles which have been blamed for endangering soldiers.
In a radio interview, Defence Minister Margarita Robles referred to an incident in Lebanon in 2007 when several Spanish soldiers died, partly because one vehicle ‘lacked the necessary armour-plating.’
The third programme aims to modernise Eurofighter fighter planes used by the Spanish air force.
Madrid has ordered 73 Eurofighters, which are made by a European consortium.
According to NATO, Spain is estimated to have used 0.93 percent of its GDP for military spending in 2018.
But like other members of the military alliance, it has promised to devote at least 2 percent of its GDP to defence by 2024 as the United States complains it takes on too much of NATO's budget.
In January 2018, when the conservatives were in power, Spain had announced it intended to increase by 73 percent its military spending over seven years.
At the time, the Socialist opposition had criticised this rise, coming as it did with severe austerity measures following years of economic crisis.
But on Friday, Robles said the military investment was ‘social spending.’
‘Military spending contributes to security and defence but... also to creating jobs,’ she told Spanish radio.
‘We're going to get more than 7,000 jobs over nine years in areas such as Galicia, Asturias in north western Spain where job creation is absolutely vital.’
The ministry estimates that ‘these programmes will generate at least 8,500 direct and indirect jobs in the coming years.’
More from Defence Notes
-
Why small guns have been critical to layered CUAS architectures
Multiple countries have been deploying small arms as the last line of drone defence due to their multiple operational and tactical advantages.
-
Singapore Airshow 2026: ST Engineering hints at export success for AME assault rifle family
The Singapore-based technology company unveiled its new rifle family at this week’s airshow. Chen Chuanren spoke with the ST Engineering’s head of small arms to find out more about how the weapons have been refined.
-
High tension in the High North – a wake-up call for NATO’s future Arctic defence efforts?
Any potential ‘Arctic Sentry’ mission would be months in the planning, but with tensions high in the region given the US’s push for Greenland, NATO countries will need to continue to emphasise their commitment to the region, analysts have said.
-
Venezuela prepares personnel and equipment for a potential second US attack
Defence Minister Gen Vladimir Padrino López has declared that the Venezuelan armed forces “will continue to employ all its available capabilities for military defence”.
-
As the new year starts, the UK defence spending delay continues
The UK’s defence spending commitments remain uncertain as the government’s Defence Investment Plan, which had been due by the end of 2025, is yet to be published.