NATO chief says spy attack must have 'consequences'
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg on 15 March backed a ‘proportionate’ British response to a nerve agent attack on a former Russian spy, saying the incident must have ‘consequences’.
Stoltenberg said the poisoning of Sergei Skripal and his daughter, which he called the first offensive use of a nerve agent on the alliance's territory since its foundation, came against the ‘backdrop of a pattern of reckless behaviour’ by Russia.
He said he would hold special talks with British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson in Brussels on 19 March over the attack in the city of Salisbury, but added that Britain had not invoked the alliance's Article 5 mutual defence clause.
British Prime Minister Theresa May ordered the expulsion of 23 Russian diplomats and suspended some high-level contacts with the Kremlin after saying Moscow was ‘culpable’ for the attempted murder of Skripal.
Stoltenberg said: ‘Britain is not alone. I am absolutely certain that the UK will respond and is responding in a proportionate and measured way. But at the same time, I fully support that there is a need for a response, because it has to have consequences when we see actions like we have seen in Salisbury.’
The former Norwegian Premier said NATO itself was not taking any direct steps beyond offering political support, although it would offer ‘practical support’ with the investigation if Britain wanted.
He said NATO was already responding strongly to years of Russian aggression including the annexation of Crimea, the conflict in eastern Ukraine, and meddling in western elections.
Stoltenberg added: ‘The attack in Salisbury has taken place against a backdrop of reckless behaviour by Russia over many years.’
Stoltenberg said Britain had not asked for the triggering of NATO's fundamental collective defence clause – which the US used after the September 11, 2001 attacks.
He said: ‘There has been no request for article 5 and it is for nations to ask for that.’
More from Defence Notes
-
Why small guns have been critical to layered CUAS architectures
Multiple countries have been deploying small arms as the last line of drone defence due to their multiple operational and tactical advantages.
-
Singapore Airshow 2026: ST Engineering hints at export success for AME assault rifle family
The Singapore-based technology company unveiled its new rifle family at this week’s airshow. Chen Chuanren spoke with the ST Engineering’s head of small arms to find out more about how the weapons have been refined.
-
High tension in the High North – a wake-up call for NATO’s future Arctic defence efforts?
Any potential ‘Arctic Sentry’ mission would be months in the planning, but with tensions high in the region given the US’s push for Greenland, NATO countries will need to continue to emphasise their commitment to the region, analysts have said.
-
Venezuela prepares personnel and equipment for a potential second US attack
Defence Minister Gen Vladimir Padrino López has declared that the Venezuelan armed forces “will continue to employ all its available capabilities for military defence”.
-
As the new year starts, the UK defence spending delay continues
The UK’s defence spending commitments remain uncertain as the government’s Defence Investment Plan, which had been due by the end of 2025, is yet to be published.