Pentagon denies Mattis wanted congress backed Syria strike
The Pentagon has denied a report that President Donald Trump rebuffed Defense Secretary Jim Mattis after the Washington chief urged him to seek congressional approval for last week's air strikes in Syria.
Citing anonymous military and administration officials, the New York Times said Mattis had pushed Trump to get a green light from Congress ahead of launching 13 April's cruise missile barrage against three targets the Pentagon said were tied to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's chemical weapons programme.
According to the Times, Mattis met with Trump in a series of meetings and pushed him to get congressional authorisation, stressing the need to link military operations to public support.
But in a short statement, Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White's office said the article's claim about Mattis pushing Trump for congressional approval is ‘blatantly false.’
A Pentagon official told AFP that there was no debate, and that ‘everyone’ agreed Trump had the authority needed to launch the strikes.
Chemical weapons inspectors are waiting to go into Douma, near Damascus, to probe allegations of a chemical gas attack on April 7.
The following day, Trump tweeted there would be a ‘big price to pay’ after a ‘mindless CHEMICAL attack’ and later promised missiles would be coming.
His remarks virtually ensured a speedy response to the alleged chemical attack, even though many US lawmakers have expressed reservations over further military engagement in Syria unless Trump can articulate a long-term strategy for the country.
More from Defence Notes
-
Why small guns have been critical to layered CUAS architectures
Multiple countries have been deploying small arms as the last line of drone defence due to their multiple operational and tactical advantages.
-
Singapore Airshow 2026: ST Engineering hints at export success for AME assault rifle family
The Singapore-based technology company unveiled its new rifle family at this week’s airshow. Chen Chuanren spoke with the ST Engineering’s head of small arms to find out more about how the weapons have been refined.
-
High tension in the High North – a wake-up call for NATO’s future Arctic defence efforts?
Any potential ‘Arctic Sentry’ mission would be months in the planning, but with tensions high in the region given the US’s push for Greenland, NATO countries will need to continue to emphasise their commitment to the region, analysts have said.
-
Venezuela prepares personnel and equipment for a potential second US attack
Defence Minister Gen Vladimir Padrino López has declared that the Venezuelan armed forces “will continue to employ all its available capabilities for military defence”.
-
As the new year starts, the UK defence spending delay continues
The UK’s defence spending commitments remain uncertain as the government’s Defence Investment Plan, which had been due by the end of 2025, is yet to be published.