Birmingham Airport reports November 2008 traffic
Birmingham International Airport is celebrating its busiest ever November after figures released today confirmed that the Midlands' premier airport is continuing to defy the current economic uncertainty.
During the month the Airport handled 620,283 passengers, including 527,727 scheduled passengers and 92,556 charter passengers spread across the two passenger terminals; an increase of 1.6% over the previous year.
Paul Kehoe, Birmingham Airport's Chief Executive Officer, said, "To be celebrating a record November is great news, particularly given the current economic conditions. The Airport continues to perform above the national average, with figures once again looking likely to be considerably down across the majority of other UK airports. However, the outlook for the coming months looks challenging for the entire industry and we cannot expect Birmingham to be immune to the economic slowdown."
"Nevertheless, it is an extremely exciting time for everyone involved with the Airport as we await a decision on the proposed runway extension on the 15, a day which will also see the launch of Turkish Airlines' five-weekly service to Istanbul, which is a brand new route for the Airport. In addition, we are looking forward to the launch of Ryanair's new ski routes to Grenoble and Cuneo as well as Thomson's service to La Romana, all launching before Christmas."
In November, growth was achieved on EU routes of 8.3%, non-EU routes of 3.9% while the Irish Republic saw an increase of 2.1%.
Scheduled routes that experienced growth in November include: Shannon (+62.2%), Inverness (+57.6%), Alicante (+54.9%), Prague (+52.3%), Tenerife (+48.7%), Malaga (+47.9%), Bratislava (+20.7%), Dusseldorf (+17.7%), Dubai (+12.6%), Zurich (+8.5%), Paphos (+3.1%), Munich (+2.6%), Milan (+2.1%) and Dundee (+1.1%).
Charter traffic which experienced growth were Turkey (+748.1%), Egypt (+68.1%), Mexico (+9.1%), Barbados (+3.2%) and Portugal (+1.7%).
Scheduled traffic accounted for 85.1% of the total passenger traffic in November whilst charter passengers made up the remaining 14.9%.
Malaysia’s parliament passed the country’s first ever Defence White Paper on 2 December to guide defence planning and development from 2020-30. Amidst opposition criticism on ...
Podcast: I/ITSEC 2019 highlights, the V-22 Osprey topping the 500,000 flight hour milestone and more
Welcome to Episode 46 of The Weekly Defence Podcast. Listen on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify and more. Sign up to an early email alert of future podcasts here.
The Lithuanian Ministry of Defence confirmed on 3 December that the scheduled re-structure of the Baltic Air Surveillance Network or BALTNET will see the activation ...
Are the benefits of a power conversion solution which truly fulfills the application requirements found in a tailored solution? This white paper reviews the challenges ...
If a theme could be drawn across the range of exhibitions and conferences that have taken place in the US in 2019, it is a ...
NATO has insisted it is continuing to deliver on its defence commitments despite public comments from partner nations that suggest a number of high-profile disagreements ...